+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Fishing Shows For 2018

Tina and I are taking off some time from the show scene. My new job has me very busy and this cold weather is not helping that. We are swamped with frozen and broken pipes. Since I am no longer guiding I needed to look at the cost of the booth and motel versus how many jigs I would sell at these shows and just barely breaking even is not worth all the work to set up a booth and break it down plus the unpaid missed work. My wife has plenty of vacation time I at this time do not. Before profits on jigs meant very little I was after guide trips and most likely 40% of my season came from the winter shows but now the shows aren't cost effective.

I will still have my on-line store and might pour some money into it for broader exposure. Plus I have three retail stores that carry my products so our line of Deep ledge Jigs are still out there. Plus any of you that live close enough feel free to stop by and pick them up from my home in Monticello. It is easy to find.

We have a new line of hand tied jigs called the Baby Bugs and we currently make them in 1/4 oz. and 3/32 oz. We have about ten colors and I think they are our best creation so far. I have a very good guide (Brian Cleland) that uses them and is sold on them. Nice to have a jig that will hold up to tons of fish and hours of fishing without having to put on new skirt.

I plan on staying with this new company until I retire 2023 then returning to full time guiding in a much lesser capacity that I used to. No more 225 trips a year. Once I get some vacation time from work I will pick up a few trips but once again I am not killing myself seven days a week.

I put 25 years into doing the show scene and guiding and got to meet a lot of nice folks along the way. My wife is always commenting on just how many people you know from all over the country and how they approach you everywhere we go. Our fishing family as I put it.

Sounds like a good plan. Something has to give. You've helped alot of us more than you know. Hang in there, get healed up, and look forward to seeing you on the water again.