+ Reply to Thread

Crappie USA Classic

The Classic starts today on Kentucky Lake. I have been to three of them on Kentucky. Lots of fun and walking across the Cabela's stage on Saturday night is priceless. Conditions should be good if you can get out of the wind. One thing about that lake you need tons of local knowledge to avoid the wind. On one guide trip a few springs ago we loaded the boat and moved to other ramps five times in one day simply to stay on the shallow pattern we had going but more importantly no way going out on the main lake in six-footers. Tons of little hidden away boat ramps on that lake.

Like always it will take 12 pounds or better each day so good luck to all.

Well I watched the weigh-in on Facebook and it looked tough. Poured down rain on Friday with wind and cold temps. Lots of teams only had three pounds. For the most part all the top teams had mid sevens but as usual a few teams found them and the day one leader had nine plus with a big lead. I looked up where they were from and I would guess they fished very far north. Less brush up there but they load up since there isn't a ton to go to.

Only eighteen something to win that is down about four to five pounds from normal. Lake looks very low and wind had to be a huge factor. I know I would of treated it like a guide trip. Get out of that wind, bring the umbrella for the rain, heater for your hands and at least six pair of gloves. Single pole one guy with a jig and one with a straight minnow both fished on bottom due to cold front. The older I get the more I hate rain. Nothing worse than thirty degree rain.