+ Reply to Thread

This is What Happened

Last summer I took out a new client that turned out to be an undercover Game Warden. I was approached a week later and handed several tickets. Even though we had caught and released sixty or more crappie, we ended when my counter said we had thirty crappie in the live well. Since you don’t have to separate them I had no idea who caught what, just that we had thirty crappie - ten of them were under ten-inches and twenty over ten. I have been doing this for many years and am lucky I’d not been ticketed before now. I am sincerely sorry this happened.

Since we got our limit so quickly, I decided to show him how we can catch buffalo carp on a jigging spoon by watching them on my electronics. I have always tied a treble hook dressed in tinsel, using the same size hook as the one on the jigging spoon, above the spoon about a foot. I have caught many species of fish, in the mouth, because when the lure falls it looks like baitfish-flash. This hook that was above the jigging spoon was, unknowingly to me, considered a snag hook. This does bring in to question, for anyone that fishes a two-jig rig, is that top lure also considered a snag hook? I think it might. Anyway, I never even considered this would be a violation but was given several tickets for this. Once again I am truly sorry and will not fish a two-hook system of any sort ever again.

If and when I start guiding again there will be colored diaper pins in my boat for each customer. They will be responsible for catching their own fish. If you bring along a child or senior citizen and they are not successful at catching fish or have much fishing experience, whomever else is in the boat cannot help them. I will be up-front and explicit on this.

I truly regret this has happened, between my injury and the upcoming suspension my family has endured more than they should and I know that I’m at fault. My wife is as good as they come and insists the boat will not be sold, just resting for a spell.

I have been silent until now because I obtained counsel and was advised to do so. Now that a plea agreement has been reached I can come forward. I will be fined and suspended from fishing. There is a point system associated with every ticket issued where the angler is convicted and since I’m a fishing guide the points are triple that of a normal fisherman. I hope that my clients, readers, friends and competitors will understand we are all human, and plan to rectify this with the DNR and the Corp. I will be a model citizen and role model once again.

yes human, we are. Most importantly, learn from this and continue to educate others, as you do so well. Thanks for sharing and helping us all move forward. Hang in there.

Steve, you have my up most respect! Not everyone in your situation will not come forward like you have... They will cover it up and hope nobody will find out. MY friend I want to thank you for all you have done for me!! Let alone your website here and the countless hours and knowledge you have passed on to others! Me being a witness on how many other people that you have helped at the ramp in just passing information to fishermen on where to go and how to!!! A+++ This post says a lot about your character!!
    Last edited by crappie24; 05-11-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Steve,

It is a SHAME that GOOD people like yourself are picked on for the smallest little interpretation of the law to make an example of!

When there are people out there that is abusing the laws to the extremes!

Thank You for ALL the INFO you have shared over the years & your friendship!

Are you able to just fun-fish for yourself?

We could ask you to run our boats & then clean our fish for $$$ (Just kidding)

I hope you recovery on your shoulder goes well & VERRY hopeful to see you on the water again!

Nats

There has been a lot of speculation about whether it is necessary in Illinois to keep track of the fish caught by each person in the boat .....or just the total number ...... Most people were under the impression that is was NOT necessary to track each person's fish like it is in Missouri.......I'm sure you were not the only one operating under the impression that tracking each persons catch individually was not necessary.

Thank you for posting the reason for the tickets.

Wow, I'm glad you shared this informatio. I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there who were unaware of keeping track of each person's catch. So if I'm using a double minnow rig trolling for crappie would the top hook be considered a snagging hook? What makes that hook above the spoon considered a snagging hook? The way I interpret the regulation is no more than 2 hooks per line and they have to be baited. What if you were say either pulling or pushing baits and had all the rods in holders could you possibly work around the "catch your own fish" rule if you let people who are behind in the count reel in the pole with a bite? I know you like to have people feel the thump but may be a way to work around the rule. Really unfortunate you have to go through this and applaud you for taking responsibility over such ticky tacky violations but sometimes it can be lonely at the top so to speak. I hope you get well soon and we see that big Yar Craft out there again one day.

I'm glad see you are now through this and able to tell your side. There were a lot of rumors being spread. Anyone who's fished with you, knows you take the rules seriously. I believe you had a target on your back, placed by jealous fishermen. I have fished with several guides and I'm sure I have never out fished one. It's what you guys do for a living, of course you will catch more fish and faster! There are a lot of grey area within the regulations. One example would be trolling. I went out salmon fishing with a guide on Lake Michigan a couple years back. The guides wife drove the boat, and he did the fishing. When he would see a bite, he'd set the hook and hand someone the pole to reel in. My opinion was that he caught every fish, yet this is allowed? I believe the rules are there for us all to follow, but how they are interpreted varies from warden to warden. You are very good at what you do, and I look forward to seeing you out fishing again soon. You have made a lot of us better fishermen by teaching those who fish with you, and your many reports. Hopefully this little break will allow your body to heal up some, so you can continue to enjoy the sport. Best wishes Sir.
    Last edited by Newbe2; 05-31-2017 at 01:39 AM.

I start my new career on Monday. I sent out 25 resumes to local plumbing and hvac companies and got six job offers so far and wouldn't be surprised if a couple more before the end of the week. I guess those that are both licensed in hvac and only need eight months to have the time required to be able to obtain your license in plumbing don't come knocking very often. After talking with several companies I decided that Binders in Decatur would be my best fit. It is on the way to where my wife works so we can carpool. I have heard great things about them and they have been in business for many years.

As most of you know I settled out of court for the violations and now cannot fish for a spell so I am taking this time to pursue that all valuable plumbing license. Those that have it in Illinois know just how hard it is to get. In Missouri you can set down and take an open book test and get your license the same day. In Illinois it is a minimum of four years on the books held by the state then pass a very difficult test that most take three times to pass. I am setting at 40.9 months. Company owners want those with that license because they can put three apprentices under you and that way they can grow their company.

Even though I have not fished on Shelbyville for some time my knowledge of the lake and especially what to do in high water years has been questioned quite often by local fishermen and other guides. Folks laughed at me for wasting so many waypoints on just a single stump out in the middle of nowhere. This year with the crappie kind of tough more and more have started to learn how to walleye fish on this big reservoir. So lets ask Steve what to do, what equipment to buy, how to set the boat up and where do I start. I have been very free with info and still enjoy talking about fishing as my wife will attest.

I get a laugh every time it happens and recently the Bass Pro shops ought to give me some kind of break on equipment. I get a phone call from some angler just starting and it goes something like this. I am in the Bass Pro shop in Atlanta Georgia and I have seen you on many u-tube videos so I believe you know what you are talking about. Can you direct me to the best type of crappie rod and reel to buy. I am fishing from the bank and will be casting. A couple days later I get a call and once again they are in Bass Pro shop only this time they are in Missouri. Now they are wondering what is the best rod to noodle with and what pound test line to put on this reel. Today yet another only this time up in Peoria Bass Pro and wanting to know what is a bottom bouncer and what do I need to come to Shelbyville to catch walleye. The internet has you spread all over the country that is for sure. The Deep Ledge Jig brand is also spread all over the country. They always comment at our local post office where are these jigs going today. I have sent them to several southern states Alabama and Arkansas probably the busiest followed by Mississippi. Brad Whitehead a BnM pro and popular guide on Pick Wick Lake is a big reason for that and I have him hooked on single pole deep summer and winter crappie fishing. Down there it is the 1/4oz. red and pink and they love that small hook. Over in Mississippi I put a huge number one on their orders.

Will continue to do a few shows this winter to keep my lure business going and I am still helping a few guides by booking trips for them through the website. As far as guiding goes I still am a few years from retirement age and I am working on this plumbing license pursuit then after I am old enough to draw Social Security I will guide just a few days a year for company more than anything else and to keep all my equipment up and current. So sorry folks you won't ever see this old guy doing the 225 days plus a year guiding on the water. Like I did for the last eight years. My body broke down and I can't see how some still do it day after day.

Steve,

Good Luck on your new venture!

I want to Thank You for your information & teachings you have shared !

Hope to converse with you on this site in the future!

Nats

There is a game warden that most likely monitored your board, I know he read the crappie.com board. As for rules violations, I always tried to go by the rules. But, I was a 50 year coon hunter. I violated the trespassing rules nearly every time I turned a coonhound loose. There is no way you can predict where a coon or a hound will go. I was never arrested or even questioned. I did have to deal with a irate landowner a few time but never anything serious. My point is that no one is perfect. I knew I was breaking the law, it comes with coon hunting hounds.I can no longer hunt any more and can fish much, so I can talk about a rule I violared s
    a lot.